Abbreviation Key:CWF (Community water fluoridation), ECC (Early childhood caries), MI (Motivational interviewing), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), NYC (New York City), NYS (New York State)
Medicaid.gov. Dental care. Available at: http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Benefits/Dental-Care.html. Accessed January 21, 2015.
- Trends in oral health status: United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2004.Vital Health Stat. 2007; 11: 1-92
Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD). Early childhood caries policy statement. Available at: http://www.astdd.org/docs/early-childhood-caries-policy-statement-june-26-2012.pdf. Accessed January 21, 2015.
The Reforming States Group. Pediatric dental care in CHIP and Medicaid: paying for what kids need, getting value for state payments. Available at: http://www.milbank.org/reports/990716mrpd.html. Accessed January 21, 2015.
- Recurrence of early childhood caries after comprehensive treatment with general anesthesia and follow-up.J Dent Child (Chic). 2006; 73: 25-30
- A simulation model for designing effective interventions in early childhood caries.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E66
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2007 National Survey of Children's Health. Maternal and Child Health Bureau of the Health Resources and Services Administration. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/slaits/nsch.htm. Accessed February 7, 2015.
- Surveillance for dental caries, dental sealants, tooth retention, edentulism, and enamel fluorosis: United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2002.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2005; 54: 1-43
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2004 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/about_meps/survey_back.jsp. Accessed February 7, 2015.
- Early childhood caries-related visits to emergency departments and ambulatory surgery facilities and associated charges in New York State.JADA. 2012; 143: 59-65
- The cost of “treat and release” visits to hospital emergency departments, 2003.US Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, Rockville, MD2007 (HCUP Methods Series Report 2007, publication #2007-05. Available at:)Accessed January 21, 2015)
American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatric cost model. 2012. Available at: http://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/practice-support/pediatric-cost-model/Pages/Pediatric-Cost-Model.aspx. Accessed February 17, 2015.
- Motivational interviewing.Ann Rev Clin Psych. 2005; 1: 91-111
- Geographic variation in Medicaid claims for dental procedures in New York State: role of fluoridation under contemporary conditions.Public Health Rep. 2010; 125: 647-654
- Topical fluoride (toothpastes, mouthrinses, gels or varnishes) for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; : CD002782
- Effectiveness of fluoride in preventing caries in adults.J Dent Res. 2007; 86: 410-415
- Water fluoridation and costs of Medicaid treatment for dental decay: Louisiana, 1995-1996.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999; 48: 753-757
- Topical fluoride for caries prevention.JADA. 2013; 144: 1279-1291
- Fluoride varnish efficacy in preventing early childhood caries.J Dent Res. 2006; 85: 172-176
- Disease management of early childhood caries: results of a pilot quality improvement project.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012; 23: 193-209
- Effectiveness of dental treatments by physicians for young Medicaid enrollees.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e682-e689
- Influence of maternal xylitol consumption on mother-child transmission of Mutans streptococci: 6-year follow up.Caries Res. 2001; 35: 173-177
- Preventive measures in mothers influence the establishment of bacterium Streptococcus Mutans in their infants.Arch Oral Biol. 1983; 28: 225-231
- Occurrence of dental decay in children after maternal consumption of xylitol chewing gum, a follow-up from 0 to 5 years of age.J Dent Res. 2000; 79: 1885-1889
- Influence of caries preventive measures in mothers on cariogenic bacteria and caries experience in their children.Arch Oral Biol. 1994; 39: 907-911
- Motivating parents to prevent caries in their young children: one-year findings.JADA. 2004; 135: 731-738
- Effects of low and standard fluoride toothpastes on caries and fluorosis: systematic review and meta-analysis.Caries Res. 2013; 47 ([published online ahead of print April 6, 2013]): 382-390
- Effect of early dental visits on subsequent dental treatment and expenditures.Med Care. 2012; 50: 749-756
- Dental Use, Expenses, Private Dental Coverage, and Changes, 1996 and 2004.US Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2007 (MEPS Chart Book No. 17. Available at:)Accessed January 21, 2015)
- Forward to the background papers from the US Surgeon General’s Workshop on Children and Oral Health.Amb Pediatr. 2002; 2: 139-140
- Preventing dental caries in children <5 years: systematic review updating USPSTF recommendation.Pediatrics. 2013; 132 ([published online ahead of print July 15, 2013]): 332-350
- Beyond the dmft: the human and economic costs of early childhood caries.JADA. 2009; 140: 650-657
Ad Council Partnership for Healthy Mouths, Healthy Lives. Make sure your kids brush for 2 minutes, twice a day. Available at: http://2min2x.org/. Accessed January 21, 2015.
Division of Oral Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Community water fluoridation: Scientific reviews: assessing the weight of the evidence. Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/safety/systematic.htm. Accessed February 8, 2015.
City of New York. Does my water contain fluoride? Available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstat00b.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2015.
- Reimbursing Medical Providers for Preventive Oral Health Services: State Policy Options.National Academy for State Health Policy, Washington DC2010 (Available at:)Accessed January 21, 2015)
Access to Baby & Child Dentistry. Washington Dental Service Foundation. Available at: http://abcd-dental.org/. Accessed February 23, 2015.
I-Smile. Iowa Department of Public Health. Available at: http://www.ismiledentalhome.iowa.gov/. Accessed February 23, 2015.
Into the Mouths of Babes/Connecting the Docs. North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dph/oralhealth/partners/IMB.htm. Accessed February 23, 2015.
From the First Tooth. Available at: http://www.fromthefirsttooth.org/. Accessed February 23, 2015.
Disclosure. None of the authors reported any disclosures.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the technical contributions of consultant William Maas, DDS, MPH, and funding support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( 5U58DP002285-04 ) and the Health Foundation for Western and Central New York.